Skip to main content

How to Get People to Read Your Blog

by Paula Neal Mooney

Now that my blog traffic numbers are increasing -- thank You, Jesus! -- I'm getting questions from various folks about how to get people to read your blog.

So I figured I'd better start blogging about what I've learned thus far on how to increase blog traffic:

* Blog every day, even several times per day.
I got this tip from Fred Wilson of A VC, who is quoted in the December 2006 issue of Business 2.0 as saying, "I've found that having something new on the blog every day is the single most important thing to building an audience."

* Use sensational headlines...
Fred continued, and I agree with him.

Yesterday I created a post called Ellen Pompeo Playboy Pics Reveal... that I think will get lots of hits just from that enticing title alone. I'll keep checking Google Analytics, which gives bloggers all sorts of great data analysis about how folks are finding you and what posts they're reading.

* Post interesting pics...
...with every post. We're all visual creatures. Pictures draw our eyes to stuff first.

That is why I have this somewhat embarassing image of me as a 9-year-old 5th-grader (I skipped 1st and 3rd grade) attached to this post. Just wait till y'all see my buck-toothed high school senior pic.

So glad my mom finally got me braces my junior year of college at Florida A&M University...

* Get personal.
Okay, so you don't have to get as personal as Dooce if you don't want to, but she is drawing 2.5 million -- that's right, million -- pageviews last I heard.

Dooce has been blogging since 2001 and has developed a following because people feel like they know her. And they do.

* Write what people want to read.
So this morning I was going to post about my dad reading my blog, but reader desire lead me in another direction -- writing this post!

Also, check Technorati's popular search term list as well as the Yahoo! Buzz Index - Today's Top 20 Overall Searches to find out what kind of info people are looking for.

That's how I find out about Carmen Bryan, and I didn't even know who she was. Now that blog post is my top pageviewed post at the moment.

* Get the story first...
...and get it indexed at the top of Google and Yahoo search results so that people searching for terms like "Kramer nigger" can find your post.

The minute I saw Kramer's infamous rant on TMZ.com I smiled (after getting over the shock of it all) because I knew I could post about a story that hadn't broke yet but would be worldwide news in a way that would fulfill SEO (search engine optimization).

There's a whole world full of info on SEO, but basically it boils down to predicting which two or three or four words people will type into search engines, and making sure those words make up about 4 or 5% of your piece's text.

And it helps to bold them.

This keyword density analysis tool is the best I've learned about to paste my text and check my percentages.


* Promote your pieces like crazy.
I'll have to do an individual post in the future to do this justice but research all the places to submit your newly created blog posting's link to Google, Yahoo and social bookmarking sites like Digg (though they think they banned me) and del.icio.us and others.

Get your blog claimed on Technorati if you haven't already and ping them and other places using ping sites like Pingoat and Google's blog pinging services.

Favor other people's blog and favor your own.

Post your blog's link everywhere in the blogosphere by reading and commenting on other people's articles and blogs.

Pretty soon you'll become known in the cyberworld.

* Fulfill missing content.
As soon as I read in my local paper that Ellen Pompeo had posed for Playboy, I Googled and Yahooed "Ellen Pompeo Playboy pics" and "Ellen Pompeo pics" and didn't get many (if any) search results.

That's how I knew that post would get good rankings.

That's the same deal with the crazy Lil' Wayne and Baby Kissing Photo...Rapper Admits it is Real piece, which got tens of thousands of pageviews across all the platforms I use, which reminds me...


* Blog on multiple platforms.
I have a few blogs.

There's this blog, my Associated Content page (which isn't really a blog), my Orble "You Gotta See This" blog, and my MySpace page (which I seriously need to update) just leading folks to this blog.

It helps to use other platforms to drive traffic to them and your blog 'cause you never know which article on which platform will get indexed first and higher.

* Interact with your readers.

Don't ignore your comments section.

People need to feel heard, so ask open-ended questions and answer theirs.

Answer emails.

Post your email address.

Robert Scoble even posts his cell phone numer. I might do that in the future for a specific purpose I'm thinking of.


* Blog the truth
A great lesson I learned from the old Scobleizer, who criticized Microsoft -- his former employer -- when they had a crappy product and praised them when they did good.

That's how he developed such a large following. He didn't pander to the higher ups just to make nice and his readers appreciated that. People can smell a rat a mile away.


* Blog because it's your passion.
Do it every day and stick with it only because it's your passion -- not just because you want to make six figures from blogging like Darren at ProBlogger (more on how to make money blogging later, but Darren's blog is excellent!) does.

Do it because there's an all-consuming Holy Ghost fire burning in your belly to get the words out of you.

Only He can provide that "it" factor that will bring more and more people to you.

There's my sermon for today. I feel like Rev Run texting his followers in the tub.

I'll start posting more detailed posts on how to make money blogging and the more techie tips on how to exactly enact each of the steps I've discovered have helped me increase blog traffic, so either subscribe to my RSS feed or for emails in the email box above and below and all over this page or bookmark http://www.paulamooney.blogspot.com/ for future updates.

Plus, pray tell oh high pageviewed bloggers: What are your biggest, baddest tips for increasing pageviews?

Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , ,
, , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Mal Smith said…
Great article. I'm looking for inspiration on how get going with writing my blog. I tend to put up a few articles, then stop for a few months (or completely!). Write every day, several times a day, great headlines, stories when they break - great tips worth repeating.
Charlie said…
Paula,
I found this post on AC. It's very informative. I've been blogging for two years now, but really haven't found an audience. My Google Analytics page shows 30-50 pageviews a day -- which is not much. I'm not trying to make money from my blog, but I would like to know that people are reading my blog. I'll try using more of your tips. THANKS for the article. And throw me a bone, if you like -- and list my blog on yours. BTW, I'm glad to see you're a fellow believer. Praise God for Christian bloggers! :-)
Charlie of The Sope-Bocks
http://sopebocks.blogspot.com
Paris David said…
Hey, thanks, Charlie. And thank God for Christian bloggers out here in the blogosphere boldy proclaiming His Name.

Your blog looks GREAT so far at http://sopebocks.blogspot.com from what I've read. Great pics and interesting posts. Yeah, that model who died from anorexia was so sad.

I've bookmarked you under my "Blogs I Read" folder. Hopefully you'll get a lot more readers implementing some of these tips. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you!
Richie said…
Excellent article Paula. I've found it difficult to get my blog off the ground but I'll try your advice and get back to you with the results.
Anonymous said…
This was interesting and helpful. I've been running my blog for 6m and have been looking for a way to boost views :)

~Kym
www.celebritydogwatcher.com
JD said…
Paula, I am glad to find you, You are putting forth the effort, I have been at this since late October, blackinbusiness.org, I learned from this post, come visit.
Peter said…
Again, great material. When does the lady stop?
MW Entrepreneur said…
Yes check me out new name new blog http://www.technthreadz.net. This is a great post for new bloggers on the block like myself. I did not even know what "ping" was except the hot table game crossing the nation and recently the big screens. Now after reading this I hope to bring my readership up to 10 from 2. A great accomplishment.
Benin said…
Wow Paula, you really know your stuff. Those are a lot of tips you mentioned and I think if I can consistantly implement even two or three I'll be in good shape. Particularly the blogging more often part and breaking the news first. Wow....
Anonymous said…
Excellent article(s); really glad I found you. I'm considering monetizing my new blog. If I do, I'll definitely put some of your excellent insight to use.
Paula, thanks for so much information! I currently blog sporadically so I now know I have to get on the ball if I want to get my message out about women and self-renewal!

Popular posts from this blog

Paula's List of Blogger Salaries...Are you on the list?

Update: For those who continue to enjoy this post, check out my website about 50 real online people making more than $50k per year , and my page where I update my online salary . UPDATE: Before you read any further or especially link to this old list, please check out "Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007" by clicking here! ~ Thanks, PAULA NEAL MOONEY by Paula Neal Mooney One of my favorite features in Parade magazine is the issue where they grab a random sampling of people and report their incomes -- from the millionaires to the working poor. Since I'm fascinated with how much money bloggers and webmasters are making nowadays, I've created a similar list -- a random sampling of people making money on the net. Who's on Paula's List of Blogger and Webmaster Salaries? I spent hours and hours scouring the internet for the last-reporte

Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007

FIND OUT HOW MUCH BLOGGERS REALLY MAKE ONLINE -- CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE ABOUT MONEY-MAKING ONLINE CALLED 50 OVER $50K... by Paula Neal Mooney The time has come. The time is now. Paula N. Mooney will you please publish that list now?! (Yes, I fancy Dr. Seuss' iambic pentameter.) My WebMaster blest me with a viral post called "Paula's List of Blogger Salaries," and the response was so wonderful, here lies an update. It's bigger and better than ever before with more pics, and double the amount of bloggers, webmasters, domainers, affiliate marketers (or a smidgen of some or all of those titles) and their reported incomes. How Much Do You Make? Money is funny. The abundance of it, the lack of it, the subject of cash in general gets attention. While some invoke their choice not to post their online income nor discuss it at all, I've always been of the Suze Orman mindset ever since I read her first book. Suze encourages people to talk ab

Digg.com's Autobury Secret Blacklist...Are you still being banned by automatic burying?

UPDATE: PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO DIGG THIS STORY AND TELL DIGG TO PLAY FAIR... by Paula Neal Mooney Many of us know the power of Digg.com, dreamed up by Kevin Rose, who touted it as a "user driven" site that says it allows the general public to determine the stories they want to see make it to the front page by voting for interesting articles they find across the web. The more votes the public gives an article, the better chance it should have to make it to the front page. Theoretically... The power of Digg's front page Digg.com -- according to Alexa -- is now more popular than The New York Times. Getting one of your articles or blog posts to the front page of Digg.com will get your website seen by plenty of eyes. John Chow experienced a one-day traffic record of 55,856 page views when one of his posts hit the front page of Digg. Digg Bans Domains...then Supposedly Unbans Them One day, Digg banned me -- I'm still not clear why. I found out they banned a whole bun