Skip to main content

Down to 175.8 pounds and reducing: Weight training, "clean" eating and lots of Jesus...

Trying to look thinner...
There I am, taking a weight-loss progress selfie in the hallway mirror to find my skinniest looking pose.

The last time I wrote about my weight on this blog I confessed that I had hit 180 pounds, even though the gym's scale said 183 pounds back then. I thought 180 was a nice round number -- and it was lower than the gym's scale because it was my so-called flush weight, what I weighed first thing in the morning -- my thinnest poop-everything-out weight.

Anyway, today I'm grateful to God that the scale is going down in a good way and my weight read 175.8 pounds this Friday, on my weigh-in day, which is nearly 5 pounds less than that 180-pound point that I knew had to be my turn around.

What changed? 

Well, the last time I wrote about my love of Robek's green smoothies and I have still been doing plenty of those kale and spinach combined with fruit and protein smoothies that I absolutely love. (My kids like them, too.) And I'm blessed to get those every morning, and sometimes drink them twice per day. They are very convenient and they help to fill me up. I've also noticed that they really curbed my appetites for sweets so I don't crave ice cream and things like that.

My Weight Training Epiphany


Another huge blessing was the fact that a friend of mine brought me to some group personal training classes at a place called BBL Fitness here in Akron. I did a sample class and then I just felt like God was telling me to go ahead and join, so I did and it has changed my life for the better. I've learned so many great tips from the trainers there, who eschewed some of the fallacies I had about weight training. "Lift like a man, you won't look like a man. You'll look good," said one of the trainers and it blew my mind.

Growing up, at first I had been taught that women shouldn't really lift heavy weights. And for me to have a weight bench in my room as a teenager growing up brought concerned comments from my mother and my best friend at the time, who didn't really understand a woman wanting to lift weights.

There are certain women who still feel like if they lifted weights they were going to bulk up too much, and so therefore sometimes don't do anything. Or, they fall into the thought process that I had heard in the past, which said if you wanted to get ripped and toned, you needed to do lots of repititions with low weights.

Well, I'm understanding how those kinds of philosophies weren't totally changing my body for a while. I wasn't challenging myself enough, and I was surprised to find out when taking the Boot Camp classes that I could hardly do a push-up. But now that is getting better and my upper body strength is strengthening as each class goes by, and I'm learning more and more about how to change my shape and health for the better. It's no wonder that when I'd go to the health club and I wouldn't ramp-up the weight that things kind of stayed the same.

Sure, thank God I've been able to lose weight throughout the years based upon keeping to an approximately 1,600-calorie per day diet, however it is getting better now by combining calorie restrictions with weight training and continued cardio workouts by getting my beloved 5K runs in on the treadmill, too.

Yes, when I burn a good 400 or so calories on the treadmill or in workout classes, I can add those back as additional calories I can eat for the day but it's funny and great that some days I don't even feel like eating all of them back, so I don't force myself to eat when I'm not hungry.



So I love the fact that even though I'm gaining muscle, I am also losing fat and losing it at enough of a rate that the scale is still going down, which is what I want to see, in a good way at a good pace.

I know there are times when people gain muscle, which weighs more than fat, and even though they're losing fat the muscle may outweigh the fat for a time. So they don't necessarily see pounds going down -- they might only see inches going down. I want to see both, positive person that I am.

We don't have to worry about building the muscle, because as I've learned, the muscle helps us continue burning fat throughout the day where as if we were only just strictly doing all this cardio, we wouldn't necessarily have the same benefits. So even when I'm away from Boot Camp class and I go to the health club, I know I can challenge myself by amping up those weights in order to see more continued progress. So I continue to hope I'll go along at least with this pound a week weight-loss or more until I hit my goal weight, which might be around 150 or 145 pounds, depending on how healthy that is for my height of 5 feet 10 and a half or 11 inches tall.

Therefore, keep checking back or follow me on Instagram to check out my continued weight loss -- and I'm sure the Kindle books that will follow will show the tracks of the whole journey. Also I will continue to unjump the shark and give more Kindle bookselling tips and other fun moneymaking writing stuff I've learned for 2014. Take care all!

Comments

Unknown said…
thanks you information .. nice blog and nice article.. (y)
Pulau Tidung
Baju Muslim
Obat Bius

Popular posts from this blog

Paula's List of Blogger Salaries...Are you on the list?

Update: For those who continue to enjoy this post, check out my website about 50 real online people making more than $50k per year , and my page where I update my online salary . UPDATE: Before you read any further or especially link to this old list, please check out "Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007" by clicking here! ~ Thanks, PAULA NEAL MOONEY by Paula Neal Mooney One of my favorite features in Parade magazine is the issue where they grab a random sampling of people and report their incomes -- from the millionaires to the working poor. Since I'm fascinated with how much money bloggers and webmasters are making nowadays, I've created a similar list -- a random sampling of people making money on the net. Who's on Paula's List of Blogger and Webmaster Salaries? I spent hours and hours scouring the internet for the last-reporte

Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007

FIND OUT HOW MUCH BLOGGERS REALLY MAKE ONLINE -- CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE ABOUT MONEY-MAKING ONLINE CALLED 50 OVER $50K... by Paula Neal Mooney The time has come. The time is now. Paula N. Mooney will you please publish that list now?! (Yes, I fancy Dr. Seuss' iambic pentameter.) My WebMaster blest me with a viral post called "Paula's List of Blogger Salaries," and the response was so wonderful, here lies an update. It's bigger and better than ever before with more pics, and double the amount of bloggers, webmasters, domainers, affiliate marketers (or a smidgen of some or all of those titles) and their reported incomes. How Much Do You Make? Money is funny. The abundance of it, the lack of it, the subject of cash in general gets attention. While some invoke their choice not to post their online income nor discuss it at all, I've always been of the Suze Orman mindset ever since I read her first book. Suze encourages people to talk ab

Digg.com's Autobury Secret Blacklist...Are you still being banned by automatic burying?

UPDATE: PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO DIGG THIS STORY AND TELL DIGG TO PLAY FAIR... by Paula Neal Mooney Many of us know the power of Digg.com, dreamed up by Kevin Rose, who touted it as a "user driven" site that says it allows the general public to determine the stories they want to see make it to the front page by voting for interesting articles they find across the web. The more votes the public gives an article, the better chance it should have to make it to the front page. Theoretically... The power of Digg's front page Digg.com -- according to Alexa -- is now more popular than The New York Times. Getting one of your articles or blog posts to the front page of Digg.com will get your website seen by plenty of eyes. John Chow experienced a one-day traffic record of 55,856 page views when one of his posts hit the front page of Digg. Digg Bans Domains...then Supposedly Unbans Them One day, Digg banned me -- I'm still not clear why. I found out they banned a whole bun