Skip to main content

^ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ § ¬ ° ± º ø þ Get More Blog Visitors with Symbols in Your Blog Post Titles - Which ones show up in Google serps?

^ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ § ¬ ° ± º ø þ Get More Blog Visitors with Symbols in Your Blog Post Titles - Which ones show up in Google serps?




I'm always on the lookout for ways to get more traffic to my websites -- and I still use the tip of putting symbols in my blog post titles that I learned from Blue Hat SEO years ago.


Since then, I've experimented with what symbols Google strips out of their serps and which ones they leave in.

Symbols like this, they leave in, thereby increasing the click-thru rate when people see the posts in Google's serps:

▷▷▷▷▷▷▷ Danny Gans Cause of Death Finally Found to be Acute ...



Symbols like the cute heart, I used get stripped out:
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Tyra Banks Real Hair, No Weave on September 8, 2009 Tyra Show…

The solid bars get stripped out of the post title, too, but I also put them within the post in header 2 tags and they show up in the Google search-engine results pages like this:

▷▷▷▷▷▷▷ Octomom Documentary: Watch Octomom Fox Documentary ...

▌▌▌▌▌▌▌Octomom Documentary: Watch Octomom Fox Documentary Full Reality Show From Fox and RadarOnline.com Below… ...
www.paulanealmooney.com/▌▌▌▌▌▌▌octomom-documentary...octomom-fox-documentary...fox.../1683/ - 17 hours ago - Similar -

So that can draw some eyes, too.

BUT USE THIS TIP AT YOUR OWN RISK, BECAUSE I'M NOT SURE HOW GOOGLE READS THESE SYMBOLS FOR RANKING YOUR POSTS. I JUST LIKE TAKING RISKS AND SEEING WHAT WORKS -- BUT FYI: MY RISK-TAKING HAS GOTTEN TWO OF MY WEBSITES BANNED AND DE-INDEXED BY GOOGLE, BUT NOT FOR THIS REASON, I THINK...

On my WordPress.org websites, I use the All in One SEO plugin and put the ▷▷▷▷▷▷▷ symbols in front of the "post title format" and other formats listed so they'll automatically put those symbols in front of every post people see in Google. (Other search engines strip them out, like Bing and Yahoo and Ask and such.)

You'll know they are working right when you click on your own post and look above at the post title and you see the symbols in your top left-hand window.


On Blogger.com I put the ▷▷▷▷▷▷▷ code that translates into those symbols after the code that says title in the greater and less than symbols, but not WITHIN the greater and less than symbols, but the space in between.

And I put ▷▷▷▷▷▷▷ again before the blog page title code. In the space between, a shown in the above pic.

Make sure to save your template on Blogger before you go monkeying around so you'll have a good copy to go back to if you need it.

I'm playing around with more symbols to see which ones still work on Google. I'll update you on which ones do. I believe these help my ctr because the eye naturally falls on stuff that sticks out in the serps.

Comments

Emo said…
Really? That gains traffic, I nver thinks the google consider those symbols. Anyway thanks for sharing that might be useful but I have to have a more research first.
Lender said…
This is a great idea to improve traffic to your site! I have never come across this method before...thanks for the tip!
Anonymous said…
So I might be an idiot, but where do I find symbol codes? http://arthurpledger.com
Paris David said…
No, that's a great question.

You can just copy and paste the symbols from the above post.

So far, I've found out that the airplane, heart and bar ones don't show up in the Google serps in the post title, but the bars can show up in the description as I'll put above.

The symbols in the title of this post all show up, so you can use some of those if you choose -- I'm not sure how they actually affect ranking, so use them at your own risk!

I like playing around and seeing what works.

Popular posts from this blog

Paula's List of Blogger Salaries...Are you on the list?

Update: For those who continue to enjoy this post, check out my website about 50 real online people making more than $50k per year , and my page where I update my online salary . UPDATE: Before you read any further or especially link to this old list, please check out "Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007" by clicking here! ~ Thanks, PAULA NEAL MOONEY by Paula Neal Mooney One of my favorite features in Parade magazine is the issue where they grab a random sampling of people and report their incomes -- from the millionaires to the working poor. Since I'm fascinated with how much money bloggers and webmasters are making nowadays, I've created a similar list -- a random sampling of people making money on the net. Who's on Paula's List of Blogger and Webmaster Salaries? I spent hours and hours scouring the internet for the last-reporte

Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007

FIND OUT HOW MUCH BLOGGERS REALLY MAKE ONLINE -- CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE ABOUT MONEY-MAKING ONLINE CALLED 50 OVER $50K... by Paula Neal Mooney The time has come. The time is now. Paula N. Mooney will you please publish that list now?! (Yes, I fancy Dr. Seuss' iambic pentameter.) My WebMaster blest me with a viral post called "Paula's List of Blogger Salaries," and the response was so wonderful, here lies an update. It's bigger and better than ever before with more pics, and double the amount of bloggers, webmasters, domainers, affiliate marketers (or a smidgen of some or all of those titles) and their reported incomes. How Much Do You Make? Money is funny. The abundance of it, the lack of it, the subject of cash in general gets attention. While some invoke their choice not to post their online income nor discuss it at all, I've always been of the Suze Orman mindset ever since I read her first book. Suze encourages people to talk ab

Digg.com's Autobury Secret Blacklist...Are you still being banned by automatic burying?

UPDATE: PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO DIGG THIS STORY AND TELL DIGG TO PLAY FAIR... by Paula Neal Mooney Many of us know the power of Digg.com, dreamed up by Kevin Rose, who touted it as a "user driven" site that says it allows the general public to determine the stories they want to see make it to the front page by voting for interesting articles they find across the web. The more votes the public gives an article, the better chance it should have to make it to the front page. Theoretically... The power of Digg's front page Digg.com -- according to Alexa -- is now more popular than The New York Times. Getting one of your articles or blog posts to the front page of Digg.com will get your website seen by plenty of eyes. John Chow experienced a one-day traffic record of 55,856 page views when one of his posts hit the front page of Digg. Digg Bans Domains...then Supposedly Unbans Them One day, Digg banned me -- I'm still not clear why. I found out they banned a whole bun