I was all set to tell you guys about the inspiring story of Ken Savage, who runs BattleDiabetes.com -- a site that ShoeMoney says that Loren Baker says that Ken says earns him just under $40,000 per year.
I'm impressed that Ken began BattleDiabetes.com because Type 2 Diabetes is a health issue that's close to his soul -- one I pray he's winning.
And the 40 grand earned must be because Ken's got a lot of content on the site dating back to August 2005, because these other factors are an anomaly to me:
- Search Engine Journal says "Battle Diabetes gets 7,000 to 9,000 pageviews on a given day," but comparing my traffic to Ken Savage's two sites, they seem comparable. And though I'm sure I'll see the 7,000 - 9,000 daily pageviews soon -- thank you Jesus -- right now I'm hovering nicely around 4,000 or so per day. (Unless Alexa is way out in left field as some folks claim it is, I don't know how else to explain the closeness in our traffic numbers represented on that graph!)
- Ken reportedly makes his money thru Google Adsense, Auction Ads and Text Link Ads -- and I definitely see the first two very clickable looking ones displayed, but don't see any TLA ads. (This could be in no small part due to the fact that it's now 3:25 a.m. as I type this. Do you guys see any?)
- Search Engine Journal says Ken practices strategic linkbuilding, but I don't see a whole lotta linkbacks to BattleDiabetes.com on Google. (And he's had that domain name for years.)
- Don't see them on Technorati either.
- And looking at the feed for BattleDiabetes.com on browsers other than Firefox, which annoyingly truncates even full feeds, I don't see any monetization going on there yet.
- Ken doesn't even have in-line text advertising. (If this is not a conscious decision, Ken, might I led you on over to my Kontera affiliate link so you can up that figure to maybe 50 grand in coming years?)
He has a heartfelt passion for his subject, and he'd probably do it all for free.
And I'll definitely check out Ken's tips on how he got "one of the most recent jumps in search driven traffic...after he listed BattleDiabetes.com in major web directories such as Best of the Web, DMOZ, Aviva Directory and Business.com."
But as for all my perplexity regarding the other issues above, I'd love for Ken to spill the beans more to us other probloggers who are ready to make $40,000 per year as well with our labors of love...
Watch full and partial episodes of your favorite TV shows and movies online -- all for free!