Skip to main content

The Secret DVD: God on Steroids

by Paula Neal Mooney

Ask. Believe. Receive.

Those are the three basic tenets of The Secret, a new DVD and hardcover book by Rhonda Byrne that's sweeping the world.

I caught Rhonda Byrne and clips of The Secret movie on Oprah yesterday, and couldn't stop watching the panel of New Agey-sounding experts talk about The Secret using hokey terms like "universe" and "energy" and "presence" instead of what this Christian girl calls "Jehovah Jireh" and the "Holy Spirit" and "God Almighty."


Only one of the panelists, Lisa Nichols (the black woman pictured here), broke down and said she got on her knees and cried out to God to help her change.

But I believe some of the other panelists and The Secret teachers are Christians -- not sure about Rev. Dr. Michael Beckwith and James Arthur Ray -- but Jack Canfield created those Chicken Soup books.

However, the "universal truths" they discussed from The Secret movie on the surface seem to line up with what I've learned from the Bible and Scripture study.

Just off the top of my head, here are some of the secrets from The Secret that kept me till 'round midnight:

The Secret DVD Spoiler #1 - What you focus on will grow larger: Focus on negative or harmful thoughts, and that's what you'll get. LL Cool J recently said that our thoughts are like previews or coming attractions of life.

Focus on yourself as a healthy, fit woman on The Oprah Show selling a million copies of her book (okay, that's my vision) and that's what I'll get -- only if the real Lord of Hosts (my God, you are so funny) is willing.

The Secret DVD Spoiler #2 - Speak positively. This is my pet peeve about people. They may think me a Pollyanna purebred, but saying stuff like "I'll never get ahead" causes you to get just that.

The Secret DVD Spoiler #3 - Write the vision! (Just like Habakkuk 2:1 - 4 says) Lisa Nichols showed her collage of pics of intentions (she seemed kinda embarrassed that Jamie Foxx was on her collage) but focused on the center declaration, that "Lisa Nichols tells all on The Oprah Winfrey Show." Mission accomplished.

Treat yourself better than anyone else does, Lisa said. You show the world how to treat you. I loved this. Lisa said she had "a whole lotta sex looking for a little bit of love." Boy could I relate to that demonic falsehood. Thank the Revealer for Revelation!

The Secret DVD Spoiler #4 - Back it up with action. Don't just sit around wishing stuff would change, but put "feet to your faith," as we Christians like to say.

The Secret DVD Spoiler #5 - Be grateful. Even for the bad stuff. Be thankful for what you already have, The Secret teachers said, so that you'll make room for more good stuff.

Don't complain and gripe about your old leaky house; be thankful you've got a roof over your head. It may sound crazy but bless God even for the bad stuff that's happened.

So true. I was just telling my friend yesterday that I thank the Lord for folks who've rejected me -- they only served to help move me on to higher heights and my true potential in life.

The Secret DVD Spoiler #6 - Be a servant. I like this. Don't always think about what you can get...think about what you can give.

Do one thing every day toward your goal -- building that blog, that ministry, that sewing business, whatever -- and watch "the universe" -- hope you catch my sarcasm -- Jesus said don't be ashamed to call His Name or else He'll be ashamed of us -- scary -- watch ALMIGHTY, POWERFUL, ALL-KNOWING, ALL-SEEING EL SHADDAI get behind you and work it out.

Check out the official website of The Secret here, with its beautiful and mysterious imagery.

Watch a trailer of The Secret now and you'll see what I mean.

Subscribe to Paula Mooney by EmailPaula Mooney's Musings

Bookmark http://www.paulamooney.blogspot.com/ or
Add me to Technorati FavoritesTechnorati fav me, please!

Get Chitika eMiniMalls

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
,

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're right. This was great. And I was moved. (I even had some new insights come to me after the show.)

I'm getting the DVD. Was a great idea to put something like this on the O show.



-Danya
(www.thebiggestfundraisingcampaignofyourlife.wordpress.com)
Anonymous said…
I can't wait to see you on Oprah, Paula!
Paris David said…
Thanks Danya - Glad to see you back here.

And Melanie...your words inspired me and made me smile!

Peace out,
Paula
Jennifer Jones said…
I first watched, "The Secret" prior to it being released... I love it! All I could think though was that these ideas are not secret. They have been taught for thousand of years! :-) XO
Anonymous said…
Hi! I've been reading your blog from the beginning..Thank you for your wonderful work! Keep up the good work.
Anonymous said…
LOL @ these ideas are not secret.

And I second melanie! :-D
Paris David said…
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking: The Secret secrets are really secrets, but they serve as a good reminder of the right things to do.
Ok, I have have a weird story. A couple of weeks ago several people told me in unconnected conversations that a DVD had changed their lives - The Secret. Then a couple we know came over for dinner. They tell us that have a new web site: ExploreTheSecret.com

So, I’m going to watch more and read more and I’ll report back on whether I have joined the ranks of those who are changed.

Oh, I hear that Oprah is taping another Secret show this week and that it will air on Friday . . .

Also, just as a side note - I don’t think any of this will “work” if you just sit on your "visions" and don’t take action. The law of attraction + action toward what you want = success. Apparently this book and DVD are pushing lots of folks to think positive about what they want and to take the action to get it. If it works . . .
Sydney Jones said…
Consciously or subconsciously we all knew the secret & we have been living with it for all our lives. However what Rhonda & her team have done is that, they have made all of us aware of this fact. I don’t know if the secret will help me achieve all the things that I desire but yes since I have watched the movie I am feeling good & it seems like everything happening around me is great & it will be so for the rest of my life.

I work with a non-profit organization Blog The Bible, where we discuss all the things which can make you happy & also relate to Jesus & Bible at the same time. I think if The Secret can generate the same happiness within all of us then there is no harm in believing the Law of Attraction.

We all have experienced it, whenever we feel good & happy we think of god, we think of Jesus, we think of Bible. So I would say that no matter what everybody thinks but this DVD has surely brought me close Jesus, Bible & at last Happiness.

Sydney Jones
http://www.blogthebible.com
Anonymous said…
Check out this cool video made from the book that inspired The Secret Movie. It's at The Science of Getting Rich
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
THE SECRET ON LARRY KING LIVE TONIGHT!
I thought you and your readers would be interested to know that the Law of Attraction and the teachers of “The
Secret” are on TV again! One of the teachers of “The Secret,” James Arthur Ray, will be interviewed on Larry
King Live tonight, March 8, 2007. To get the showtimes for your area, or to get free transcripts of previous Larry
King Live interviews of the teachers of “The Secret,” you can go to
http://lawofattractionteleconference.com/lawofattractionandthesecretontv.htm
This is the THIRD show that Larry King has done with the teachers of “The Secret.” The reason he continues to
give the teachers of “The Secret” international TV airtime is because of AUDIENCE FEEDBACK. So, watch the
show, and send an e-mail afterwards telling him that WE WANT MORE!
Rana said…
The Secret Applied:
Did you know "The Secret" was inspired and based on a book by Wallace Wattles, The Science of Getting Rich. In fact, Bob Proctor, Jack Canfield, and Michael Beckwith have launched the Science of Getting Rich Seminar. The SGR program is a home study course that will teach you how to apply the secret and law of attraction!
http://thesecretsgraffiliate.thesgrprogram.com/
Rana said…
The Secret Applied:
Did you know "The Secret" was inspired and based on a book by Wallace Wattles, The Science of Getting Rich. In fact, Bob Proctor, Jack Canfield, and Michael Beckwith have launched the Science of Getting Rich Seminar. The SGR program is a home study course that will teach you how to apply the secret and law of attraction!
http://thesecretsgraffiliate.thesgrprogram.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Paula's List of Blogger Salaries...Are you on the list?

Update: For those who continue to enjoy this post, check out my website about 50 real online people making more than $50k per year , and my page where I update my online salary . UPDATE: Before you read any further or especially link to this old list, please check out "Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007" by clicking here! ~ Thanks, PAULA NEAL MOONEY by Paula Neal Mooney One of my favorite features in Parade magazine is the issue where they grab a random sampling of people and report their incomes -- from the millionaires to the working poor. Since I'm fascinated with how much money bloggers and webmasters are making nowadays, I've created a similar list -- a random sampling of people making money on the net. Who's on Paula's List of Blogger and Webmaster Salaries? I spent hours and hours scouring the internet for the last-reporte

Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007

FIND OUT HOW MUCH BLOGGERS REALLY MAKE ONLINE -- CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE ABOUT MONEY-MAKING ONLINE CALLED 50 OVER $50K... by Paula Neal Mooney The time has come. The time is now. Paula N. Mooney will you please publish that list now?! (Yes, I fancy Dr. Seuss' iambic pentameter.) My WebMaster blest me with a viral post called "Paula's List of Blogger Salaries," and the response was so wonderful, here lies an update. It's bigger and better than ever before with more pics, and double the amount of bloggers, webmasters, domainers, affiliate marketers (or a smidgen of some or all of those titles) and their reported incomes. How Much Do You Make? Money is funny. The abundance of it, the lack of it, the subject of cash in general gets attention. While some invoke their choice not to post their online income nor discuss it at all, I've always been of the Suze Orman mindset ever since I read her first book. Suze encourages people to talk ab

Digg.com's Autobury Secret Blacklist...Are you still being banned by automatic burying?

UPDATE: PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO DIGG THIS STORY AND TELL DIGG TO PLAY FAIR... by Paula Neal Mooney Many of us know the power of Digg.com, dreamed up by Kevin Rose, who touted it as a "user driven" site that says it allows the general public to determine the stories they want to see make it to the front page by voting for interesting articles they find across the web. The more votes the public gives an article, the better chance it should have to make it to the front page. Theoretically... The power of Digg's front page Digg.com -- according to Alexa -- is now more popular than The New York Times. Getting one of your articles or blog posts to the front page of Digg.com will get your website seen by plenty of eyes. John Chow experienced a one-day traffic record of 55,856 page views when one of his posts hit the front page of Digg. Digg Bans Domains...then Supposedly Unbans Them One day, Digg banned me -- I'm still not clear why. I found out they banned a whole bun