Skip to main content

On-the-Job Blogging: Do You Blog at Work?

by Paula Neal Mooney

It's been eons -- well, since 2004 exactly -- since I held a "real job" from a "real desk" in corporate America. That was before I began this blog, so these days I often wonder: Do people update their personal blogs on the job? And like Fantasy Football fanatics, how much is this "fleece-blogging" costing companies?

Of course, I'm not talking about corporate bloggers nor freelance bloggers for which blogging is part of the work day deal. I'm wonder how many "regular folk" like financial analysts, accountants, librarians, etc. are out there blogging using their office computers.

I was, after all, a master at monkeying around on the job. My sister reminds me of the day I was so happy when I figured out how to write my magnum opus novel in invisible type on Microsoft Word so no colleagues could see what I was doing.

(I shouldn't even mention the extended lunch hours I used to take, some days working out and hanging out in the steam room THEN stopping home to catch The View before return to my desk two or three hours later. )

I Know I've Been Changed...
Thankfully, I got saved and gained a bit more integrity. When I returned to corporate America a few years ago on a contractual basis, I was downright anal about doing real work for the real hours I was paid -- save for those times I couldn't stop chatting with my fellow contractors.

But even back then I couldn't get access -- and Lord knows I tried -- to the AOL- and Yahoo-type web mail that my safe and smart corporation disallowed regular employees from accessing. (No matter how much I tried to sweet talk those IT guys!)

So these days I wonder: Do companies nowadays block their employees from posting to Blogger, Wordpress, Typepad, MySpace and other sites? If not, I'm sure they might consider it soon, seeing the hubbub that's beginning to form from folks not only getting fired for the content of their blogs, but from firms possibly taking notice of on-the-job blogging.

Do you blog at work? Is it your job or secret passion? Feel free to leave your comment anonymously, but be warned: techies can find out almost anything!

Subscribe to Paula Mooney by EmailPaula Mooney's Musings

Bookmark http://www.paulamooney.blogspot.com/ or
Add me to Technorati FavoritesTechnorati fav me, please!


Get Chitika eMiniMalls

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post Paula! I work at home, so of course I can blog whenever I please.

In general, I think blogging from work is stilling from the company you work for unless it is your lunch hour or you have been given specific permission to do so.

Also, I wonder if some corporate firewalls would prevent the posting of anything online.

Just a thought.
Paris David said…
Thanks Laura...yeah, I guess it depends on when you do it and how much. I wonder if companies block it...
Anonymous said…
Hello Paula,

I must admit that I have put up a post, and responded to a few comments. I don't know if I can feel any worse than I'm already feeling, these days. However, I should blog on my own time.

jldtudor
Tisha! said…
I also work for myself so it doesn't apply to me anymore but I think it depends Paula cause I remember that when I did work for someone else I made it clear that if they wanted me to work overtime on a regular basis, sometimes 10-15 hours a day, I would also get my personal stuff done.

many kisses
Paris David said…
Yeah, Jose, I kinda don't blame you for putting up a post or two, seeing as though the stuff you must endure whilst blogging at night. But keep it up, your blog is amazing...

You're right, too, Tisha! If a company is expecting you to work up to 15 hours a day -- my God! -- I hope they give their employees time to take care of their personal stuff.

That's basically it really, if the company allows it, I say go for it!
Jose said…
Paula,

I'm glad to know that your Mom was spared physical victimization, and that you lived your time in the inner-city under the protection of God's grace. May you always continue to live that way.

Jose
Anonymous said…
Great post Paula,

Yea Ive been known to make a post or 2 at work. Mostly if I'm working nights and want to post something I'm scared Id forget when I get home. Haven't done it in a while because a few coworkers have ran across my blog and now some are paying a little more attn to me than usual (out of curiosity tho, not to rat me out, they are busy enough doing their own dirt). But I do check email and check on different things going on. But similar to Tisha, I work 12 1/2 hour rotating shifts, and live about an hour away from work so sometimes you just have to take care of things at work. I think my job doesn't mind too much unless you start taking advantage of the freedom. I was actually asked one time to manage the department's intranet homepage hehe. Funny thing, libsyn and feedburner is blocked

Popular posts from this blog

Paula's List of Blogger Salaries...Are you on the list?

Update: For those who continue to enjoy this post, check out my website about 50 real online people making more than $50k per year , and my page where I update my online salary . UPDATE: Before you read any further or especially link to this old list, please check out "Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007" by clicking here! ~ Thanks, PAULA NEAL MOONEY by Paula Neal Mooney One of my favorite features in Parade magazine is the issue where they grab a random sampling of people and report their incomes -- from the millionaires to the working poor. Since I'm fascinated with how much money bloggers and webmasters are making nowadays, I've created a similar list -- a random sampling of people making money on the net. Who's on Paula's List of Blogger and Webmaster Salaries? I spent hours and hours scouring the internet for the last-reporte

Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007

FIND OUT HOW MUCH BLOGGERS REALLY MAKE ONLINE -- CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE ABOUT MONEY-MAKING ONLINE CALLED 50 OVER $50K... by Paula Neal Mooney The time has come. The time is now. Paula N. Mooney will you please publish that list now?! (Yes, I fancy Dr. Seuss' iambic pentameter.) My WebMaster blest me with a viral post called "Paula's List of Blogger Salaries," and the response was so wonderful, here lies an update. It's bigger and better than ever before with more pics, and double the amount of bloggers, webmasters, domainers, affiliate marketers (or a smidgen of some or all of those titles) and their reported incomes. How Much Do You Make? Money is funny. The abundance of it, the lack of it, the subject of cash in general gets attention. While some invoke their choice not to post their online income nor discuss it at all, I've always been of the Suze Orman mindset ever since I read her first book. Suze encourages people to talk ab

Digg.com's Autobury Secret Blacklist...Are you still being banned by automatic burying?

UPDATE: PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO DIGG THIS STORY AND TELL DIGG TO PLAY FAIR... by Paula Neal Mooney Many of us know the power of Digg.com, dreamed up by Kevin Rose, who touted it as a "user driven" site that says it allows the general public to determine the stories they want to see make it to the front page by voting for interesting articles they find across the web. The more votes the public gives an article, the better chance it should have to make it to the front page. Theoretically... The power of Digg's front page Digg.com -- according to Alexa -- is now more popular than The New York Times. Getting one of your articles or blog posts to the front page of Digg.com will get your website seen by plenty of eyes. John Chow experienced a one-day traffic record of 55,856 page views when one of his posts hit the front page of Digg. Digg Bans Domains...then Supposedly Unbans Them One day, Digg banned me -- I'm still not clear why. I found out they banned a whole bun