Skip to main content

In the Company of Mothers


I saw her in my pediatrician’s lobby: blonde and good-looking, too much make-up covering her 30-something magnetic face and slight jowl. Fighting time. As she leaned over to read to toddlers milling about, I surveyed the scene – and the dad who honorably gazed away from the fleshy humps uncovered by her deep V-neck. Another fair-haired lady threw her guarded glances.

This kind of vixen pops up often in my observations, student of human nature that I am. One surprised me with a honeyed lilt in her voice and never-before-seen smile in her eyes as she joked with a married man, ignoring the wife at his side. A different one angered me with her pink-bowed, charcoal-black unmentionable (with an intriguing cutout design, I must say) on display above her belt loop for all of Chuck E. Cheese to see.

Truth be told, I readily spot her type because I once was her – a vamp more concerned with the stomach-flipping advances of the male species than the soul-nurturing companionship (or glaring rage and hurt, for that matter) of their better halves. On my bad days, I still am her. The demons she fights are my own.

However, leaving the testosterone-rich soup of corporate America and becoming a desolate housewife helped change all that. In the ghost-town still of these mid-days, all my colleagues are women. Beholden to this corporation of mothers, my need for genuine female friendship (which requires being a respectable female friend) has swung the pendulum in estrogen’s favor. It’s a hard thing to look at your own ugly ways and yield to change, but that’s exactly what I did.

My reward has been a bevy of mommy buddies that I’m grateful to call friends, who reflect my own personhood. Distancing myself from the haters, gossips and fakes, I prayed for divine connections and got them in the following crossover, archetypical characteristics. I hope every woman – be she a mom or not this Mother’s Day – enjoys the same:

Fun-loving and Forgiving
Babs Uhl belongs on a Broadway stage, belting out her soaring soprano range beneath plumed headdresses. Our get-togethers are impromptu and varied, wherein she regales me with tales of drama. She is the paprika in my salt-and-pepper days. My other friend guffaws outright. Often accompanying this joyful quality is a turn-the-other-cheek nature, which forgives my judgmental, inconsiderate and self-obsessed faux pas.

Smart and Soaring
One has her doctorate, another is in law school. Others rest in the higher rungs of billion-dollar firms. But there’s also brilliance in my hausfrau comrades. Take Diane Vrobel, a former chemist who continually feeds the right side of my brain. Mention Proust or Keats and she won’t bat a hazel-brown eye. She easily discusses everything from mob mentality to DNA structure. These aren’t folks that raise my ire with icky feelings of one-upswomanship, but instead are the dangling, delightful carrots whose own intelligence and accomplishments show me what’s possible.

Thoughtful and Trustworthy
Without my day-to-day buddy, Erica Brown, Sgt. Paula’s Lonely Housewives Club Band (featuring moi) would be a whole lot lonelier. Her kind acts are numerous – from the first time she gave me a tape of the sermon I had to flee because of my wiggly kid to her babysitting rescues, Erica has truly come through for me. It’s beyond nice to have friends like her who ask, “How are you doing today?” and then listen to my response. A real woman’s woman, Erica’s pretty gorgeous on the outside, only made more beautiful by the heart within.

Honest and Honorable
My pal Maia Randle is good at telling me the truth, seasoned with love. Like a couple of other women I know, months may pass before we hook up, but when we do, there’s no need to pretend our lives are perfect. Maia’s best quality is her integrity; doing right is first nature to her. Female allies like her are the best because they don’t undercut your value to try and elevate their own positions in life, and they don’t seek opportunities to canoodle with your man.

A Comfortable Confidante
Being with friends shouldn’t be a chore. I like the relationships that grow and flow easily, like ripples over smooth rocks. They return calls. They initiate calls. We click. And though we all might leak minor tidbits on side roads, we don’t blast each other’s juiciest secrets on Front Street. Mine are locked in their vaults and their secrets in mine; we don’t hear our personal business repeated to us from other folks.

Sisterly, with Staying Power
Last but most cherished is my sister, Amber Dobbins-Jones. I love that she’s my best friend, but doesn’t have to be – one of the few long-term companionships I haven’t burned by relocation or backstabbing. I can be my real self in her presence. Everyone should hold dear -- and be -- a friend like all of the above: Someone who forgets who you were, respects who you are, and champions who you’re becoming.

Paula Mooney is a freelancer writer who lives in Akron with her husband and two young children. Visit her blog at www.paulamooney.blogspot.com

This essay was originally published in the May 2006 issue of Akron Family and is available for reprints.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paula's List of Blogger Salaries...Are you on the list?

Update: For those who continue to enjoy this post, check out my website about 50 real online people making more than $50k per year , and my page where I update my online salary . UPDATE: Before you read any further or especially link to this old list, please check out "Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007" by clicking here! ~ Thanks, PAULA NEAL MOONEY by Paula Neal Mooney One of my favorite features in Parade magazine is the issue where they grab a random sampling of people and report their incomes -- from the millionaires to the working poor. Since I'm fascinated with how much money bloggers and webmasters are making nowadays, I've created a similar list -- a random sampling of people making money on the net. Who's on Paula's List of Blogger and Webmaster Salaries? I spent hours and hours scouring the internet for the last-reporte

Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007

FIND OUT HOW MUCH BLOGGERS REALLY MAKE ONLINE -- CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE ABOUT MONEY-MAKING ONLINE CALLED 50 OVER $50K... by Paula Neal Mooney The time has come. The time is now. Paula N. Mooney will you please publish that list now?! (Yes, I fancy Dr. Seuss' iambic pentameter.) My WebMaster blest me with a viral post called "Paula's List of Blogger Salaries," and the response was so wonderful, here lies an update. It's bigger and better than ever before with more pics, and double the amount of bloggers, webmasters, domainers, affiliate marketers (or a smidgen of some or all of those titles) and their reported incomes. How Much Do You Make? Money is funny. The abundance of it, the lack of it, the subject of cash in general gets attention. While some invoke their choice not to post their online income nor discuss it at all, I've always been of the Suze Orman mindset ever since I read her first book. Suze encourages people to talk ab

Digg.com's Autobury Secret Blacklist...Are you still being banned by automatic burying?

UPDATE: PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO DIGG THIS STORY AND TELL DIGG TO PLAY FAIR... by Paula Neal Mooney Many of us know the power of Digg.com, dreamed up by Kevin Rose, who touted it as a "user driven" site that says it allows the general public to determine the stories they want to see make it to the front page by voting for interesting articles they find across the web. The more votes the public gives an article, the better chance it should have to make it to the front page. Theoretically... The power of Digg's front page Digg.com -- according to Alexa -- is now more popular than The New York Times. Getting one of your articles or blog posts to the front page of Digg.com will get your website seen by plenty of eyes. John Chow experienced a one-day traffic record of 55,856 page views when one of his posts hit the front page of Digg. Digg Bans Domains...then Supposedly Unbans Them One day, Digg banned me -- I'm still not clear why. I found out they banned a whole bun