Skip to main content

Motherless

by Paula Neal Mooney


Monday morning. I had just begun to shift from weekend to work mode when my parents’ home number appeared in the Caller-ID display box on the black phone in my cube.

"Hello?" I answered, cheerful yet quiet.

"Where’s the body?" Mommy asked someone in the background.

Ah…my quirky mother, Thelma O’Neal Dobbins. Only she would unwittingly start a conversation that way. Obviously her own mother – my beloved "Gran Ruby" – had ended her battle with diabetes and old age. I figured Mommy was calling to give me the news.

"Hel-lo-o?" I sang, ready to offer my mother the same solace I did six years before, when her father died. Lived a long life…Not suffering anymore… I was totally prepared.

"Yeah, Paula? Your Mommy died last night." For those words, I was totally unprepared.

"What?"

"Your Mommy died." Suddenly I heard the difference in their voices. I was talking to my mother’s sister, not my mother. And she was telling me something I could barely comprehend.

"How?" my cool collectiveness dissolved into a whining falsetto.

"Heart attack. In her sleep," she said, spitting out the facts with the staccato of a seasoned crime detective. "Let me know what you all are gonna do."

I hung up and dialed my husband Chris’ extension. When it rolled to his second line, I jogged up a flight of stairs to his cubicle. Taking one look at my distraught face, Chris said through the receiver, "I’ll call you back."

"My mother died…" I broke down, covering my mouth with the palm of my hand. My other hand flew to my belly and I bent over like one of those men in old-time footage taking a cannonball in the midsection.

We rushed to our house to book flights to Chicago and pack bags. Staring at my mother’s picture on the wall, I promised, "I’m coming, Mommy."

The futility of rushing to the dead didn’t escape me, until I realized it the living I was really swarming to. The first thing my father said to me was, "We need you."

It felt strange to be greeted in my childhood home by Daddy and my relatives, but no Mommy.
The person I was most like – flesh of her flesh – whose voice and signature I could emulate to a tee, the one I even chewed like, had disappeared into ether.

After Mommy’s body was lowered into the ground and my aunt wailed with grief, we all went home. A few days later, I called my mother’s phone just to savor her voice on the outgoing message. Now, nearly six years later, I finally signed my name on a list for a grief recovery workshop, hoping to unearth all the pain her death – and life – caused.

It’s so easy to focus on the negative. Yes, the things Mommy did wrong could fill a tome (check your local bookstores circa 2008 for my scathing memoir). But for now I will focus on the positive things she passed on to me during her 68 years on this planet. Like how she taught me the 23rd Psalm. Or how she read ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas with such animated glee, it rivaled any modern day Pixar picture.

Perpetually stooped over wiping crumbs and dog hair off the floor, Mommy was a natural born cleaner. Strong with muscular mounds astride her shoulder blades, she didn’t think twice about mowing the lawn or shoveling snow when Daddy slacked off.

Not just a workhorse, my mother was smart too – interpreting a French phrase or two while being a taskmaster for proper English. Just let a participle dangle from my lips or a negative double up in my mouth, Mommy quickly corrected it — much to my preteen chagrin and adult delight.

I catch glimpses of her now and again, in the nappy silver hairline of a woman at church, or in certain mannerisms my son displays. They are messages from beyond, like the shooting star I saw soon after Mommy’s death. And the song that came to life on the radio back then, the chorus of which had swirled around in my brain beforehand for days: "All right now, baby it’s all right now."

Paula Neal Mooney is a freelance writer. Visit her blog daily at http://paulamooney.blogspot.com to make her smile and see those stats increase!


This essay originally appeared in the October 2005 issue of Akron Family Magazine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, I hope you're happy, Miss Paula. I read four of your essays, and I got teary-eyed four times. Fine; I'm a sensitive guy. And now you go and put me over the edge with this one, as I sit here outright weeping over my keyboard. When you're rich and famous someday (and someday soon), I hope you'll remember me.
Anonymous said…
Paula, I found this entry at Peopelized... the link to it I mean.

You are an incredible writer. Your heart shows, the reader feels your sorrow and your love. I thank God for meeting people like you in this (virtual) world.

Thank you for sharing this story.

Love,

Mig
Paris David said…
Wonderful, Mig.

Thanks be to the Father of All for that compliment, as I sit here in my mother's house, sensing her approval.

:-)

Paula
*Tanyetta* said…
Very wonderfully written.

I loved this part--"All right now, baby it’s all right now."

Popular posts from this blog

Paula's List of Blogger Salaries...Are you on the list?

Update: For those who continue to enjoy this post, check out my website about 50 real online people making more than $50k per year , and my page where I update my online salary . UPDATE: Before you read any further or especially link to this old list, please check out "Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007" by clicking here! ~ Thanks, PAULA NEAL MOONEY by Paula Neal Mooney One of my favorite features in Parade magazine is the issue where they grab a random sampling of people and report their incomes -- from the millionaires to the working poor. Since I'm fascinated with how much money bloggers and webmasters are making nowadays, I've created a similar list -- a random sampling of people making money on the net. Who's on Paula's List of Blogger and Webmaster Salaries? I spent hours and hours scouring the internet for the last-reporte

Paula's New List of Blogger Salaries (and Webmasters, Affiliate Marketers, Content Scrapers, Domainers and any other title you can think of) June 2007

FIND OUT HOW MUCH BLOGGERS REALLY MAKE ONLINE -- CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE ABOUT MONEY-MAKING ONLINE CALLED 50 OVER $50K... by Paula Neal Mooney The time has come. The time is now. Paula N. Mooney will you please publish that list now?! (Yes, I fancy Dr. Seuss' iambic pentameter.) My WebMaster blest me with a viral post called "Paula's List of Blogger Salaries," and the response was so wonderful, here lies an update. It's bigger and better than ever before with more pics, and double the amount of bloggers, webmasters, domainers, affiliate marketers (or a smidgen of some or all of those titles) and their reported incomes. How Much Do You Make? Money is funny. The abundance of it, the lack of it, the subject of cash in general gets attention. While some invoke their choice not to post their online income nor discuss it at all, I've always been of the Suze Orman mindset ever since I read her first book. Suze encourages people to talk ab

Digg.com's Autobury Secret Blacklist...Are you still being banned by automatic burying?

UPDATE: PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO DIGG THIS STORY AND TELL DIGG TO PLAY FAIR... by Paula Neal Mooney Many of us know the power of Digg.com, dreamed up by Kevin Rose, who touted it as a "user driven" site that says it allows the general public to determine the stories they want to see make it to the front page by voting for interesting articles they find across the web. The more votes the public gives an article, the better chance it should have to make it to the front page. Theoretically... The power of Digg's front page Digg.com -- according to Alexa -- is now more popular than The New York Times. Getting one of your articles or blog posts to the front page of Digg.com will get your website seen by plenty of eyes. John Chow experienced a one-day traffic record of 55,856 page views when one of his posts hit the front page of Digg. Digg Bans Domains...then Supposedly Unbans Them One day, Digg banned me -- I'm still not clear why. I found out they banned a whole bun